Friday, August 3, 2012

Freshers Day- Part I (My Marathon)


Freshers' day is a day celebrated to welcome the first year students into the campus. It was a long wait for me and it finally took place yesterday. The programme was organized by the senior students of the english department. The B.com students had had their Freshers' day a week back and that had created quite the stir among the other students. We were informed at around 12:00 that they were giving us the party at 2:30 in the Chavara Hall. Anxiety and fear wreaked in the classroom. And thus, I begin the small story of excitement, fun and a bit of swearing.
It was 1:30 and the French period had just started. Our old and retired French sir walked in and started his usual speech in broken English about 'vous avez' and 'nous avon' (lets hope that how it's spelt). All of a sudden I felt a pull in my stomach. I nearly screamed. It felt like a pac man was gnawing at the flesh of my stomach. I felt nauseated. My friend, Abhi, kept on calling me from behind to let me know of some new joke that he had come up with. As funny as the joke was, I wanted to ask him to shut up. Suppressing the scrutiating pain, I waited for the class to get over. It was 2:30 and I had a choice to either go to my hostel and have my medicine or go for the Freshers Day party, taking in the pain.

I felt angry and betrayed by my body. And that's when the swearing started. "Fuck my life" I said as I got up from my seat. "What?", asked Vishnu, quite alarmed at my agitation. "I'm going home. This fucking pain is killing me. I may kill someone, anyone. If AJ asks, tell him I went home. Bye." And I stormed off. I walked... nearly ran to my hostel. I took the shortcut that I was told not to take and ran as fast as I could. This Freshers Day would not come around again and I knew I was going to miss it. On the way, a man, in a comment like way, asked me, "engottekka moley ottam?" (Girl, where are you running to?). "Goooo dieeee" I sang in a low voice. Please don't give me that look. I was really frustrated.

It was 2:45 when I reached my hostel. I broke my fast by  taking a pill and fell on the bed. I was dripping in sweat and I could barely breath. I laid there for 10 minutes and then I was up and ready to go. I felt calmer and more energetic. I changed into another salwar and I started my marathon run again. I reached the college by 3:10. My next task was to find where the Chavara Hall was. I asked a senior I saw on the way and she gladly pointed it out to me.

I reached the hall right when the principal was getting down from the stage after delivering his speech. Lucky me, I was on time. I took a seat behind Vishnu. She looked really surprized that I had made it back. I, myself was surprised.

And I finally felt glad that I was after all not going to miss the party that I had waited for so long. 

No comments:

Post a Comment